Ronaldo: 'Probably My Last Year' of Football

Get the Sports newsletter
Daily sports — scores, transfers, the storylines from the leagues you actually follow. Free.
- Cristiano Ronaldo told Vogue in an interview published Sunday that 'this is probably my last year of football,' and added he wants to 'leave a spectacular legacy.'
- Ronaldo's Al Nassr contract runs until June 2027, though he said last November he expected to play 'one or two years' more, with the 2026 World Cup as his final tournament.
- Ronaldo scored three goals at this summer's World Cup as Portugal reached the round of 16, where they were eliminated by Spain.
- The Vogue interview took place five days before Ronaldo's marriage to long-term partner Georgina Rodríguez in Cascais, Portugal.
- Ronaldo said his 'future is all mapped out' with plans including travel, padel, and family time after 25 years in professional football.
- Lionel Messi also cast doubt over his future this week following the death of his father Jorge, placing both defining figures of a generation in simultaneous retirement limbo.
Why it matters: The two most decorated players of their generation — Ronaldo, a five-time Ballon d'Or winner with 450 goals in 438 Real Madrid appearances, and Messi — are publicly weighing retirement within the same week, which would mark the definitive end of an era that has defined football for two decades.
Ask SkimNews




