Kushner: Hamas Disarmament Could Begin in 30 Days

Get the Geopolitics newsletter
Daily geopolitics — wars, elections, sanctions, the diplomatic moves that move markets. Free.
- Jared Kushner said Hamas disarmament progress could begin within 30 days during a Fox News interview from Tel Aviv, including removing weapons and filling in tunnels.
- Netanyahu insisted there would be no Israeli pullout from Gaza until an American general verifies Hamas's disarmament under the new understanding reached with Kushner.
- The agreement marks a new attempt by the Trump administration to satisfy Israel after Netanyahu publicly rejected the latest part of a U.S. plan aimed at ending the Gaza war, as the premier faces a tough re-election fight.
- Hamas, led by new chief Khalil al-Hayya, told Kushner during rare direct talks in Egypt that it remains committed to the plan and asked for pressure on Netanyahu.
- A July 30 roadmap assigned weapons decommissioning supervision to the International Stabilisation Force led by U.S. Major General Jasper Jeffers; Hamas pledged to hand over weapons to a new Palestinian governing body.
- A "Board of Peace" official said every collected weapon will be fully decommissioned and Israel retains its right of self-defence; former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair joined Kushner in the talks.
Why it matters: The agreement ties any Israeli withdrawal from Gaza to verified Hamas disarmament under an American general — a concrete U.S. military commitment to a process Netanyahu had previously dismissed. With a 30-day timeline now in play and Trump's 'Board of Peace' overseeing implementation, the deal faces its first testable deadline for moving from announcement to actual weapons collection.
Ask SkimNews



