Russia Claims Capture of Kostiantynivka in Donetsk

Get the Geopolitics newsletter
Daily geopolitics — wars, elections, sanctions, the diplomatic moves that move markets. Free.
- Russia's military announced on July 3, 2026, that its forces had taken control of Kostiantynivka in eastern Ukraine's Donetsk region, a city Moscow has long sought in its push through the region.
- General Valery Gerasimov, head of Russia's General Staff, delivered the announcement in a report to President Vladimir Putin during Putin's visit to a command point overseeing Russian forces in Ukraine, now in the war's fifth year.
- Gerasimov characterized Kostiantynivka as "one of the main defensive hubs of the enemy within the Sloviansk-Kramatorsk-Kostiantynivka fortified area," and said the southern group of Russian forces was "carrying out offensive operations to liberate" all of Donetsk.
- Russia's military had previously reported controlling parts of Kostiantynivka; the city is one of several fortifications forming the backbone of Ukraine's defense of Donetsk.
- Ukraine's military made no comment on the Russian claim of full capture, leaving the battlefield status unconfirmed from the defending side.
- Russia's Defence Ministry posted on Telegram what it said were scenes from the captured town, including Russian servicemen holding national flags amid shattered buildings.
Why it matters: Russia frames Kostiantynivka as one of the main defensive hubs inside the Sloviansk-Kramatorsk-Kostiantynivka fortified area — meaning its reported fall could weaken the Ukrainian network protecting Donetsk's two largest remaining cities. With Ukraine offering no comment and Moscow announcing the capture during a Putin command-center visit, the claim is as much political theater as battlefield update.
Ask SkimNews


