South Korea shortens war games with US, citing Washington request

Get the Geopolitics newsletter
Daily geopolitics — wars, elections, sanctions, the diplomatic moves that move markets. Free.
- South Korea's defense ministry announced the 2026 Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise will end on 21 August instead of 27 August at Washington's request, with the combined field training component also "partially reduced in scale" though specifics remain under discussion.
- Trump announced plans to curtail the exercises citing his "very good" relationship with Kim Jong Un, and US officials told the Wall Street Journal he is privately pushing for an in-person meeting during his November APEC trip to China.
- Trump explicitly linked the drill cuts to South Korea's refusal to help on Iran, writing on Truth Social that he asked Seoul to join "Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran" and was told "No thanks!" — a connection he repeated to reporters in the Oval Office on Monday.
- South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told parliament that neither South Korean nor US officials had been aware in advance of Trump's plans, highlighting how the announcement caught Seoul off guard.
- The Ulchi Freedom Shield drills will still involve approximately 18,000 South Korean soldiers and the 28,500 American military personnel currently stationed in South Korea, per last week's joint press conference.
- North Korea's foreign ministry condemned the joint drills as "a rehearsal for an aggressive war" after US and South Korean military leaders also cited North Korean troops returning from Russia's war against Ukraine.
- US military spokesperson Ryan Donald said the training "accounts for that threat" from North Korean soldiers returning from the Ukraine battlefield — a concern the now-reduced exercise will still need to address.
Why it matters: Trump is conditioning a decades-old US-South Korea military exercise on unrelated demands — Iranian denuclearization help and a Kim Jong Un summit — while South Korean officials say they weren't consulted in advance. With 28,500 US troops still stationed on the peninsula but drills shrinking, the US-South Korea alliance is starting to look less like an automatic security commitment and more like a transactional bargaining chip.
Ask SkimNews


