Pakistan Denies Media Reports on US‑Iran Peace Initiative

Get the Geopolitics newsletter
Daily geopolitics — wars, elections, sanctions, the diplomatic moves that move markets. Free.
- Pakistan's Foreign Office spokesperson Tahir Andrabi issued a statement rejecting media reports about Pakistan's initiative to facilitate US‑Iran talks as “baseless” and a “figment of imagination.”
- Pakistan said the briefing held on Friday at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had been “misrepresented” and urged media platforms to rely exclusively on officially issued statements.
- Pakistan was reported by Dawn to have relayed messages between Washington and Tehran, but the source said Iran had not responded positively to calls for negotiations.
- Pakistan and China have urged Iran to engage, yet Tehran has not conveyed readiness to take part in dialogue, according to the unnamed official.
- Pakistan’s leaders have stayed in contact with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi despite the lack of a reply from Tehran.
- Pakistan has so far failed to arrange a ceasefire but has succeeded in keeping itself away from the war.
Why it matters: The denial underscores Pakistan’s effort to avoid being seen as a mediator in a volatile US‑Iran conflict, preserving its diplomatic credibility while limiting expectations that it can sway Tehran’s stance; it also signals to regional actors that Pakistan will not be drawn into the war’s diplomatic negotiations.
Ask SkimNews

