Pochettino in positive extension talks with U.S. Soccer

Get the Sports newsletter
Daily sports — scores, transfers, the storylines from the leagues you actually follow. Free.
- Mauricio Pochettino and U.S. Soccer have held positive talks about a contract extension, with sources telling ESPN the federation wants to retain him through the 2030 World Cup in Spain, Portugal and Morocco.
- Pochettino's current deal runs only through this World Cup, and sources said no extension decision will be made until the tournament is over.
- U.S. Soccer wants to keep both Pochettino and the same core of current roster players together for the next four-year cycle, per sources.
- The extension offer was first reported Friday by The Athletic; in May, Pochettino confirmed he and U.S. Soccer CEO JT Batson discussed the possibility of him staying on.
- Pochettino denied personally meeting with AC Milan about their vacant coaching post — eventually filled by former Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim — but said his representatives may have, and he has also been linked to Brentford last June and former club Tottenham, who signed Roberto De Zerbi in March.
- JT Batson has repeatedly called Pochettino 'incredibly transparent' about approaches from other clubs and just last week reiterated U.S. Soccer's pursuit of a long-term deal.
- The U.S. has qualified for the round of 32 at this World Cup and faces Bosnia-Herzegovina on Wednesday.
Why it matters: Pochettino's decision carries major stakes for U.S. Soccer's program — extending him through 2030 would deliver four years of continuity with the same player core, while his well-documented history of European suitors (AC Milan, Tottenham, Brentford) means the federation faces real competition to keep him. With the U.S. in the round of 32 and European clubs persistently circling, the federation's urgency to lock him down now is evident.
Ask SkimNews



