NCAA Wins Stay, Class of 2022 Eligibility Chaos Returns

Get the Sports newsletter
Daily sports — scores, transfers, the storylines from the leagues you actually follow. Free.
- U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals granted the NCAA a stay in the Colorado district court case led by Northern Colorado basketball player Brock Wisne, removing the blanket fifth year of eligibility that had been extended to all Class of 2022 athletes and reverting them to ineligible status absent separate court protections.
- State-court TROs continue shielding many Class of 2022 athletes, including all players who gained eligibility through the Louisiana case earlier this week — a ruling that also allowed athletes who had signed NFL contracts to return to school — and 10 more athletes granted TROs by a Kentucky court on Friday.
- Thomas Castellanos, the former Florida State quarterback, was granted a TRO on Friday, allowing him to return for a fifth college season and enter the transfer portal.
- New Mexico kicker Luke Drzewiecki leveraged the Louisiana case to regain his year Thursday and signed with Minnesota by Friday; lawyers told CBS Sports the Louisiana order uniquely allows portal entry, while Colorado-only eligibles cannot transfer.
- Lawyers and agents told CBS Sports they expect a rush of new state-court lawsuits against the NCAA next week, with the college football season starting next Saturday and every program underway by Labor Day weekend.
- SEC commissioner Greg Sankey sent a memo earlier this month reminding schools that the conference's intraconference transfer ban remains in force, though multiple SEC schools believe that ban will not hold up in court against the Louisiana ruling — and the SEC declined to comment when asked Friday.
- Kentucky is considered the favorite to land former Missouri power forward Mark Mitchell, who entered the transfer portal Friday after being granted a TRO against the NCAA in Kentucky court, while LSU is eyeing several former SEC players who could return to school.
Why it matters: With kickoff less than a week away, players who lost their extra year Friday have days to secure individual state-court TROs before taking the field, creating a patchwork where eligibility could flip week-to-week through the fall. SEC programs are already testing whether the conference's intraconference transfer ban survives the Louisiana ruling, which uniquely grants portal access not available to Colorado-only eligibles.
Ask SkimNews




