Iran Blames US, Israel for New Natanz Nuclear Strike

Get the Geopolitics newsletter
Daily geopolitics — wars, elections, sanctions, the diplomatic moves that move markets. Free.
- Iran's atomic energy organization said the US and Israel struck the Natanz enrichment complex, reporting no leakage of radioactive materials at the Shahid Ahmadi Roshan facility about 220km southeast of Tehran.
- IAEA head Rafael Grossi called for military restraint after Iran informed the UN watchdog of the attack; the agency reported no increase in off-site radiation levels.
- Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz warned that US and Israeli strikes on Iran would 'rise significantly' in the week starting Sunday.
- US Central Command commander Adm. Brad Cooper said the US has struck 8,000 military targets across Iran, assessing Iran's combat capability is on 'steady decline.'
- Russia condemned the attack as 'a blatant violation of international law' through Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova.
- Tehran holds approximately 400kg of highly enriched uranium — the nuclear capability the White House says its February 28 war aims to eliminate.
- Natanz was previously hit in the June 2025 12-day war and in the first week of the current 22-day war, when satellite images showed damage to several buildings.
Why it matters: The White House says preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons is the key war objective — and Tehran holds roughly 400kg of highly enriched uranium. US Central Command reports 8,000 targets struck and Iran's 'combat capability on steady decline,' while Israeli Defense Minister Katz promises intensified strikes starting Sunday, raising the stakes around an enrichment site the IAEA says has not leaked radiation.
Ask SkimNews



