orth Korea launches 10 ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

Get the Geopolitics newsletter
Daily geopolitics — wars, elections, sanctions, the diplomatic moves that move markets. Free.
- North Korea launched more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles from the Pyongyang area toward the sea east of the Korean Peninsula on Thursday (Aug 20), according to South Korea's presidential office, which convened an emergency security meeting with the defence ministry and military authorities.
- South Korea's presidential office condemned the launch as a "grave act that violates UN Security Council resolutions" and ordered its military to maintain full readiness during the ongoing joint exercises.
- South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missiles flew approximately 300km; Japan's coast guard said the projectile had already fallen, and NHK reported it landed outside Japan's exclusive economic zone.
- Kim Yo Jong, sister of Kim Jong Un, said Wednesday that the US "hostile policy" toward North Korea had not changed while drills were still ongoing, and University of North Korean Studies professor Yang Moo-jin framed Thursday's launch as backing up that warning with action.
- Yang Moo-jin said the launch signaled opposition to the South Korea-US exercises, displeasure over recent discussion of North Korea's nuclear arsenal, and a warning to outside powers against speculating about Pyongyang's security affairs.
- The launch came as US-South Korea military drills were cut short to end on Friday after President Trump ordered a substantial reduction in US participation and said he wanted to revive diplomacy with Kim Jong Un.
- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, visiting Seoul this week, urged South Korea not to take sides between Beijing and Washington and said the US should abandon its "hostile" policy toward North Korea to ease tensions.
Why it matters: With drills winding down a day early by Trump's order to pursue diplomacy with Kim Jong Un, Pyongyang answered with a 10-missile salvo — directly undercutting Trump's outreach narrative and forcing South Korea to publicly denounce a launch on the eve of an exercise Trump had already scaled back. Kim Yo Jong's prior denial of changed US policy is now backed by hardware, and Beijing is publicly counseling Seoul to distance itself from Washington, raising the cost of any near-term diplomatic opening.
Ask SkimNews

