Confirmed Ebola cases in Congo outbreak top 1,000 with 254 deaths, authorities say

Get the Health newsletter
Daily health & science — research, biotech, public health, the studies worth knowing. Free.
- Congo's Ministry of Health reported Sunday that confirmed Ebola cases in the eastern Ituri province outbreak have reached 1,003, with 254 deaths and 100 recoveries since the outbreak was declared on May 15.
- The Bundibugyo virus strain, which has no available vaccines or treatment, is driving the outbreak — described as the worst ever recorded in its first month — and officials admit the true scale remains unknown.
- Contact tracing has achieved only 55% coverage, and authorities have yet to identify patient zero or trace more than 35,000 people who had contact with infected individuals.
- Africa CDC Director-General Dr. Jean Kaseya told the AP: "If you want to control an outbreak, especially Ebola outbreak, you must know the index case. We don't have confidence on when this outbreak started."
- Attacks by the Islamic State group-backed Allied Democratic Forces in Ituri have cut off access to villages and forced displacement, complicating the response — the U.N. refugee agency says at least 2 million people, including 320,000 refugees, live in areas at risk of Ebola.
- The Kigonze displacement camp in Bunia, housing over 20,000 people, reported 10 unexplained deaths last week, prompting the U.N. refugee agency to warn of "accelerating spread" of the virus among displaced communities.
Why it matters: With only 55% contact tracing coverage, no identified patient zero, and no vaccine for the Bundibugyo strain, containment in an active conflict zone is failing before the outbreak peaks. The 10 unexplained deaths at the 20,000-person Kigonze camp — still uninvestigated — show the virus may already be moving into displaced populations that health teams cannot reach.
Ask SkimNews




