NFL Clears Stefon Diggs After Conduct Review

Get the Sports newsletter
Daily sports — scores, transfers, the storylines from the leagues you actually follow. Free.
- The NFL closed its personal conduct review of WR Stefon Diggs, determining there was insufficient evidence of a policy violation, a league official told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Friday
- Diggs was found not guilty in May of assaulting his private chef Jamila Adams following a two-day trial on felony strangulation and misdemeanor assault charges
- The charges stemmed from a Dec. 2 encounter at Diggs' Dedham, Massachusetts home, where Adams testified he slapped and choked her during an argument over pay and a planned trip to Miami
- The Patriots released Diggs in March, but the NFL's ruling now clears the path for the veteran to sign with a new team as a free agent
- Diggs had signed a three-year, $69 million contract with New England last year and posted his seventh career 1,000-yard season as Drake Maye's primary target in the Patriots' AFC East title run
- Attorney Mitch Schuster of Meister, Seelig & Schuster said the evidence proved Diggs "was wrongly accused" and called the case "opportunistic targeting that players can face the moment they step off the field"
Why it matters: The NFL's clearance removes the last formal barrier for a 1,000-yard receiver to hit free agency after his May acquittal. With the Patriots already off the hook for the remaining years of his three-year, $69 million contract, receiver-needy teams now have a fully cleared veteran available ahead of training camp.
Ask SkimNews



